Being involved in a car accident can be a painful experience, often causing injuries that may last for weeks, months, or even years. If you’re experiencing pain from an auto accident, you may be wondering if you should see a chiropractor to help deal with your pain. Below, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about seeing a chiropractor after a car accident so you can make an informed decision for yourself.
Should I See a Chiropractor After a Car Accident?
One of the very first things you should do after being in a car accident is to seek medical treatment. While a chiropractor may be an important part of your rehabilitation journey, you should first see a medical doctor before seeing a chiropractor. The doctor will perform a medical examination to reveal any underlying injuries and advise you on the appropriate treatment plan. If the doctor thinks it is a good idea to see a chiropractor to treat your car accident injuries, then you should seek chiropractic help.
What Are the Benefits of Seeing a Chiropractor After a Car Accident?
Visiting a chiropractor can be a great way to treat some of the most common injuries and consequences of a car accident. Some of the biggest benefits of chiropractic treatment after a car accident are:
- Offers neck pain relief. Neck injuries are some of the most common types of injuries after a car accident, and chiropractic treatment can be one of the best ways to deal with them.
- Reduces swelling and inflammation. The body reacts to trauma with inflammation, which can help protect vital organs and tissues. However, inflammation needs to be treated after the shock of the accident, and a chiropractor can recommend a treatment that will help reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Improves mobility. Some car accident injuries can restrict mobility even after the pain has subsided. A chiropractor could help you improve your range of motion and restore mobility.
- Alleviates chronic pain. Some deep-tissue injuries can last for months or even years. A chiropractor can help alleviate the pain from car accident-related injuries.
- Improves posture. You might have noticed that your posture is off ever since your car accident. If this sounds familiar, then seeing a chiropractor could help you correct your bad posture.
What Car Accident Injuries Can a Chiropractor Treat?
A chiropractor can help treat some of the most common types of car accident injuries. Some of the most common injuries that a chiropractor can treat are:
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spine injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Ligament injuries
- Muscle pain
- Chronic soreness
- Spinal cord injuries
If you suffered from any of the injuries above in a car accident, then seeing a chiropractor may provide relief.
How Soon Can I See a Chiropractor After a Car Accident?
Generally, you should see a chiropractor within 72 hours of your car accident. Since many soft-tissue injuries may take hours or even days to manifest, seeing a chiropractor as soon as possible can help ameliorate or even prevent the pain before it starts. However, remember that you should always see a medical doctor first so you can get a full medical evaluation before seeing a chiropractor. If your injuries are too severe, your doctor may advise you to wait longer than 72 hours before your first chiropractic session.
What Type of Chiropractor Should I See?
There are two common types of chiropractors, each treating different types of injuries. The type of chiropractor you should see depends on the injuries you want to treat. The types of chiropractors are:
- Musculoskeletal doctor. These types of chiropractors focus on helping patients identify and resolve pain points. These are the most common types of chiropractors seen by car accident victims and commonly treat issues like back pain, neck pain, headaches, spinal cord injuries, and joint pain.
- Wellness chiropractor. These types of chiropractors focus on correcting nerve interference. They typically treat issues involving chronic pain, bad posture, and spinal issues.
If you’re not sure which type of chiropractor to see, you can always contact a licensed chiropractor to describe your injuries and ask for a recommendation.
What Are the Most Common Chiropractic Treatments for Car Accident Injuries?
Chiropractors will use a combination of treatments to best suit your injuries. Some of the most common chiropractic treatments for car accident injuries include:
- Chiropractic adjustment
- Spinal manipulation
- Spinal decompression
- Soft-tissue therapy
- Heat therapy
- Ice therapy
- Posture correction
- Gonstead adjustment
- Activator Method Chiropractic Technique (AMCT)
You should discuss the best techniques to treat your injuries with your chiropractor to create a plan that best suits your recovery journey.
Is the Chiropractor Covered by My Car Accident Settlement?
Chiropractic therapy is typically covered by car accident settlements as long as it is considered reasonable and necessary. Tort law generally allows accident victims to recover compensation for economic damages, which includes all treatment that is considered medically necessary. For example, whiplash may require chiropractic treatment whereas a bruise may not. A referral from your doctor may be good enough to show that chiropractic treatment was a necessary part of your rehabilitation plan.
If you were not at fault for the accident, then you will have to submit your chiropractic bill to the at-fault driver’s insurance company for reimbursement. If you were at fault, you may be able to get your chiropractic bills covered by your insurance if your policy includes personal injury protection (PIP) or medical payments coverage (MedPay). If that’s the case, then you will need to contact your insurance company for reimbursement.
Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer To Help Me Get Chiropractic Treatment?
Insurance companies will often try to claim chiropractic treatment wasn’t medically necessary to avoid paying for the treatment. If the insurance company involved in your case is refusing to pay for your chiropractic treatment, then you should hire a car accident lawyer to ensure that you are rightfully reimbursed for the treatment you need.
At Morris & Dewett, our car accident attorneys have been fighting for the rights of Texas and Louisiana accident victims for years. With the largest settlement in Louisiana’s history and over 1,200 five-star reviews across all locations, you can trust that our experienced attorneys will do everything they can to secure the compensation you need and deserve.